Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout

As promised, yes we know it's a little late, here is the REVIEW for Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout!!! Enjoy!
Deity (Covenant, #3)Deity: The Third Covenant Novel by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Steph’s Rating: 5 stars Dani’s Rating: 5 stars Overall Rating: 5 stars
 

Goodreads Synopsis:
"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time."
Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.
If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.
But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.
Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

Steph’s review: *small spoilers for Half-Blood and Pure*
    I’ve been fretting for weeks on how to start this review. I read it pretty much right after it came out at the start of November, but I have just been pushing back the review because I am, no joke, absolutely speechless from it. I couldn’t produce a single coherent thought to write down! Now, after several weeks of rereading and deep mental processing, I can say that Deity is definitely the best JLA book I have ever read, and that is saying something, because as far as Dani and I are concerned, pretty much every JLA book is a 5 star read. Deity left my heart pounding and aching for more of the Covenant Series.
    There is just so much I want to say about this book, and this review could probably continue for a few miles long, but I want to keep this as spoiler free as possible (TRUST ME. You do not want major spoilers for this Deity!!!).
    This books picks up right where Pure left off. Alex and the gang have returned from the New York Council after the massive daimon attack. Right from the first chapter, very typical of JLA, there are already plot twists working themselves. Oh, you thought Pure and Half-Blood were bad with the twists and turns? I know I’ve mentioned before that Pure had lots of twists, but just wait until you read Deity. This book is full of them cover to cover, and I actually didn’t expect any of them this time! I swear I was gaping at the pages the entire time I read this! It is just so fast paced, and I had to stop and put the book on several occasions to process the events that just happened. I think the true plot of the Covenant series is really starting to broaden in Deity, and JLA really just dumps a load of information (good, extremely interesting and important info :)) into your head.
    There is so much character development in Deity. Our Alex baby really starts grows up in this book. Maybe it’s all of the stress taking a toll on her, but she is now starting to think things through. Her actions are now done with what she believes is best for everyone she loves, rather than more selfish reasons that we see in Half-Blood. Sometimes her decisions weren’t the best for herself, but they were best for the people around her.
    I think I need to bold this: As of Deity, I have officially converted from Team Seth to Team Aiden. I’d like to think Dani agrees.***See below for Dani’s official position. In the books before, I thought Aiden was kind of a douche since he was pretty much leading Alex on all the time and then just kicking her to the curb, saying things like “Oh I would destroy your life if we were together! But BY THE WAY I really like you! But we just can’t be together!” But now, I take back every bad thing I have ever said about Aiden, because he just MANS UP and goes for the gold in Deity. He is just so sweet and protective and supportive in this book, and his and Alex’s relationship is now going in a completely new direction *squeals!!!*. Did I mention he’s sexy as heck???
    And then there is our new third wheel in the love triangle...Seth...
    *sighs*. I don’t really want to say anything about Seth because I know anything I say would mean a giant rant with a giant spoiler somewhere in there. You will just need to read Deity for yourselves to understand what I mean. No matter what happens, I will always have hope for Seth, but I don’t think he will ever win me back to his “Team”.
    There are lots of new characters introduced in Deity too “hint, hint” :), and I just won’t be able to get to all of them in this review. Even the recurring characters are changing so much, some for better and some for worse, like Deacon, Marcus, Lucian, Luke, etc. You name the character--they’ve changed.
    Overall, Deity has just left me breathless and shocked. Honestly, no review can do it the full justice it deserves. I am craving Apollyon badly already, and I really do not know how I am going to survive the 5-month wait until April. The wait for Deity was bad enough, but the fricken super cliff-hanger ending of Deity has me screaming my head off for more! I really wish I could just hibernate through the winter and wake up to find that it’s April. I would give up 5 months of my life, just to read Apollyon now. I need it that bad.
    I recommend Deity to everybody. If you have not started the Covenant series, I suggest you stop whatever you are doing, sit down, and start reading it. Deity was definitely worth the wait, and I can’t wait to see what happens in Apollyon!

****Dani was Team Seth in Half-Blood and Pure, but after having read Deity, Dani is considering converting to Team Aiden. But, Dani still has hope for Seth to return to his normal arrogant, infuriating, sexy, and amazing self. All she is saying that Seth has a rather large personality change in Deity...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...