Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: The Iron Legends by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)I know...I know. This review is WAY past due. It got lost in my docs folder so I completely forgot about it until now. Nonetheless, here is Dani and I's review for The Iron Legends.

The Iron Legends by Julie Kagawa:  
Reviewed by Steph with Dani’s commentary in blue

Steph’s rating*: 4.5 stars 
Dani's rating: 4.5 stars 
Overall rating: 4.5 stars

Format: Paperback
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Publication Date: August 28th, 2012 
Pages: 304

*PLEASE NOTE: This rating is only for “Iron’s Prophecy”. I have read the other novellas before, but it was before this anthology of Iron Fey novellas was released. I will ONLY be reviewing “Iron’s Prophecy”. Also, there are spoilers in the review if you haven’t read the original quartet.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Enter the world of the internationally bestselling Iron Fey series. Dangerous faeries. Heartbreaking romance. Thrilling action and limitless adventure. The world of the fey has never been so powerful. This collection includes three novellas set in the world of the Iron Fey plus the Guide to the Iron Fey with exclusive information about Julie Kagawa's unforgettable world of Faery.
Winter's Passage
Never make a promise to a faery. They always come to collect. Now Meghan Chase must fulfill her promise to Prince Ash of the Winter Court and embark upon a dangerous journey into the heart of enemy territory—while being pursued by a relentless new foe and guarding her own foolish heart.
Summer's Crossing
What can turn enemies into reluctant allies? A call from the Exile Queen, Leanansidhe, ties legendary prankster Puck to his archenemy, Prince Ash, on a journey that may end in betrayal and will set them both on an irreversible path.
Iron's Prophecy
Before she ever knew what she might become, Iron Queen Meghan Chase was warned by the oracle that her firstborn child would bring nothing but grief. And even as Meghan and Ash celebrate their long-awaited union, the prophecy stirs.…
            Three Iron Fey novellas for the first time in print!

Review: 
Before I even start talking about the actual story, I have a few things to say about the COVER of The Iron Legends. I have some serious issues with this cover. 

1. Why is Puck so...ugh!? You know, I actually watched a video about the making of this trailer online, and the guy who played Puck was not that bad looking in real life. Maybe it was the photographers problem or something, but I felt like my mental image of Puck was just ruined by that cover. The guy isn’t UGLY, he’s just not attractive compared to our mental image of Puck. I wish his hair was more red...It’s supposed to be bright red!

2. Ash. I don’t think the guy for Ash is ugly or anything, but he is NOT hot enough to be my Ash either. Oh, and why is he wearing this plush coat that’s probably made out of polyester? The clothing crew could have at least given him a real outfit like they gave to Meghan. He’s just not as hot as Ash. No mortal can be as hot as Ash. ;)

3. Meghan. I don’t think the girl who plays Meghan is ugly either, but she is again NOT what I imagined for Meghan either. She’s pretty...I’m fine with her as Meghan.

If I had to give a cover rating? This would get 2/5 stars. I’d give it ⅘ stars. I like the girl who played Meghan and the guy who played Ash.

Okay, moving on the actual content review of Iron’s Prophecy. 

    I think this was quite a well-written novella, even though it was a little short. Lots of novellas I read these days are pretty crappy and are just unsatisfying. Mrs. Kagawa gives us readers plenty of Meghan/Ash moments that just make you go “awwww”. This novella really does have a meaning to the story line. Although it is supposed to be Meghan, Ash, and Puck’s “last adventure”, this novella really gives a lot of foreshadowing to the plot of her spin-off series, “The Call of the Forgotten”. It’s more like a prequel to The Lost Prince. 

    This story starts off with Meghan and Ash’s first Elysium together at the Unseelie Court--Mab’s Palace (uh oh! Meghan and Mab really don’t like each other...). But of course, Mab’s party just happens to be trashed by the Oracle, who has a prophecy for Meghan. The Oracle also tells Meghan to meet her at a lake in the deep wyldwood that can only be found quickly through the mystical Wishing Tree. Mab isn’t happy with Meghan, and probably would have taken the interruption as an excuse to go to war with the Iron realm. But our Meghan has learned to stand up for herself now, which pleases the Seelie King, Oberon, but leaves the hateful Titania hating even more. 

    I’m not going to go into the specifics of this prophecy, because then it would basically give away the need to read the story, but I can tell you that it has something to do with one of Ash’s trials in The Iron Knight, the one about Keirran :D. I sincerely hope that the events that will take place in the spin-off series don’t lead to a tragic ending. 

    Meghan, Ash, and Puck set off to meet the Oracle, and during their journey, we can see that Meghan has truly “grown up” and become a powerful queen of the Iron Fey. She literally leaves both of her boys jaw-dropped and standing on the sidelines, and its not because of the way she looks (ps. that was my favorite moment in the entire novella)! Ash is as hot and sweet as ever! Sweeter than he ever was before since he has a soul now! And Puck!!! How I have missed your snark! No Puck, you did not convert me to Team Puck with it, but I still love you. Oh gosh, I’m gushing now. I demand that you read it.

    Mrs. Kagawa did a good job with this one, like all of the rest of her books. Don’t judge this book by its cover. It leaves you pretty satisfied but also makes you excited for her next release, The Lost Prince, which is the first book in the Iron Fey spin-off series!  

Dani’s commentary:

 I loved all the foreshadowing in this novella for The Call of the Forgotten series starring Meghan’s brother, Ethan Chase! By far my favorite Iron Fey novella by Julie Kagawa. There are many cute parts between Meghan and Ash and even a scene that causes Puck to feel extremely awkward! My favorite part was when Meghan left Ash and Puck gaping on the sidelines when she shows off her amazing ninja-iron-queen-magic skills. :) 

P.S. Julie Kagawa leaves us a special gift at the end of each novella in The Iron Legends! It involves her awesome anime drawing skills.Have you ever wondered what the Iron Fey characters would look like in anime form?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...